MirandaNet Blog
Contributions, Commentaries, Controversies

Teachers talking to Teachers

Dr Christina Preston

Teachers talking to Teachers

Castle View School,  Sunderland

[divide margin_top=”10″ margin_bottom=”10″ color=”#a0a0a0″]

Abstract

My case study is to set up a simple discussion forum for members of the Teaching and Learning Group. I hope to establish an online community within the group that could extend in the future to encompass the whole school. The forum is a Microsoft Word Document located on the Schools computer network. The file has restricted access only to the Teaching and Learning group and the Head teacher. I plan to analyse the transcripts of the forum over a 6-week half term. I have asked all members to try to contribute at least once per week. I hope that once the forum is up and running they will post more often. Analysis I intend to · map interactions within the forum to identify threads · record the number of log ins from each member · record the number of threads · analyse the results to determine gender and or age bias as well as whether length of service as a teacher or level of seniority in the school affect participation rates and patterns. ·Facilitate the discussion by regularly adding new threads to promote a wide range of topics.

Author: Phillippa Jardine

Publication Date: 2004

[s2If !is_user_logged_in()]More… To see the complete Case Study, please Login or Join.[/s2If]

[s2If is_user_logged_in()]

References & Contacts

None available

[review]

[/s2If]