Connecting Classrooms Through Global Learning Practitioner Research Fund
Involving parental engagement
- Allen, A. Preston, C. Payton, M. and Pickering, S. (2011) Safeguarding learners in a digital world: e-Safety module information for Further Education & Skills providers & learners. Becta Coventry. DropBox link
- Preston, C, J. Wilde, K. Cameron and S. Nusrat (2014) The relationship between parental engagement, digital home-school links and pupil achievement. A MirandaNet Fellowship publication in association with Groupcall here
Publications about developing communities of educators as researchers
- Cuthell, J. P. and Preston C. (2008) The Role of a Web-based Community in Teacher Professional Development. International Journal of Web Based Communities, Vol. 2, No. 8 2008, pp. 115 – 139. Geneva, Inderscience here
- Cuthell, J.P., and Preston, C. (2012). Tracking the stages of learning: concept maps as representations of liminal space. Themes in Science and Technology Education, 5(1/2), 79-94. here
- Leask, M., Preston, C. and Younie, S. (2014) ‘Translational research and knowledge mobilisation – strategies from the Campbell Collaboration and MESH (Mobilising, Managing and Mapping Educational Specialist knowHow), BERA Symposium, British Educational Research Association (BERA) Annual Conference, Institute of Education, University of London, 23-25 September, 2014.
- Leask, M., and Younie, S. (2001) ‘Communal Constructivist Theory: pedagogy of information and communications technology & internationalisation of the curriculum’, Journal of Information Technology for Teacher Education, Vol. 10, Nos 1 & 2, pp117-134.
- Leask, M and Younie, S. (2001) ‘Is the European Schoolnet an Online European Community for Teachers and a Valuable Professional Resource?’ Teacher Development: An International Journal of Teachers’ Professional Development. Vol. 5, No.2, pp 157-175.
- Leask, M and Younie, S. (2001) ‘Building On-line Communities for Teachers: ideas emerging from research’, in Issues in Teaching using ICT (ed) M. Leask, London: Routledge. ISBN 0-415-23867-6 pp 223-232. Leask, M. and Younie, S. (2009) Parliamentary Select Committee Inquiry into Initial Teacher Training and CPD Report:submission of written evidence to House of Commons, London.
- Leask, M. and Younie, S. (2013) ‘National Models for Continuing Professional Development: The Challenges of Twenty-First-Century Knowledge Management’ Journal of Professional Development in Education, Vol. 39, No. 2, pp 273–287. doi:10.1080/19415257.2012.749801.
- Leask, M. and Younie, S. (2016) ‘Keeping up to date – new MESHGuide research summaries for teachers, teacher educators and student teachers’ IT in Teacher Education National Newsletter, Summer 2016, London: ITTE
- Leask, M. and Younie, S. (2016) ‘Calling time on chaos: our personal responsibilities for R&D in a self-improving education system’ BERA Blog from Educational Research and Education Policy Making SIG, 19 September 2016.
- Preston, C (2008) Braided learning: an emerging process observed in e-communities of practice. International Journal of Web Based Communities, 2008 – Vol. 4, No.2 pp. 220 – 243
- Preston, C. (2007) Braided Learning: promoting active professionals in education. New International Theories and Models Of and For Online Learning. C. Haythornthwaite. Chicago IL, USA, First Monday.
- Preston C. (2007) The development of personalised learning in e-communities in Pictures of Personalisation: A global view of the personalisation of learning, Ed. Angela MacFarlane, DfES and BESA.
- Preston, C. (2005) Social Networking between professionals: what is the point? A chapter in Self-regulated Learning in Technology. Edited Stephans, K, R. Carneiro and Underwood, J. Enhanced Learning Environments TACONET Lisbon, Portugal, Shaker Verlag.
Publications about different styles of CPD
- Cuthell, J. P., Cych, L., and Preston, C. (2011) Learning in Liminal Spaces. Paper presented at Mobile learning: Crossing boundaries in convergent environments Conference, University of Bremen. Available from here</li>
- Cuthell, J. P. and C. Preston (2009) The Use of Concept Maps for Collaborative Knowledge Construction here
- Porayska-Pomsta K., Preston, C., Laerke Weitze, C. and Younie, S. (2017) ‘How can we provide educational practitioners with the expertise they need?’ In: Enhancing Learning and Teaching with Technology: What the Research Says, Rose Luckin (ed). Routledge
- Preston, C. (2017) Hardwired to Learn Education Executive, 27th April 2017 http://u3e.55d.mywebsitetransfer.com/blog/2017/04/30/children-hardwired-learn/
- Preston, C. and J.P. Cuthell (2007) Perspectives on ICT CPD: Past, Present and Future. The experiential learning of advisers responsible for school teachers’ ICT CPD programmes. WLE Centre, Institute of Education London. Available online.
- Preston, C. and Cuthell, J. (2005) Teaching in ICT rich environments – using e-learning to create a knowledge base for 21st century teachers. A chapter in M. Leask and Pachler, N (eds) (2nd edn 2005) Teaching and Learning using ICT in the Secondary School, London, Routledge.
- Preston, C, B. Mannova and Lengel, L. (2004) Building communities of practice in “New” Europe a chapter in A Brown, and N Davis (eds): Digital Technology, Communities and Education: World Year Book of Education – 2004 Routledge Falmer
The ICT CPD Landscape
- Daly, C, Pachler N. and Pelletier, C. (2009) Continuing professional development in ICT for teachers: A literature review. Becta Report One here
- Daly, C., Pachler N., and Pelletier, C. (2009) Continuing Professional Development in ICT for teachers. Becta Report Two here
- Davis, N., C. Preston, and I. Sahin (2009a). ICT teacher training: evidence for multilevel evaluation from a national initiative.British Journal of Education Technology (BJET). Volume 40. Issue 1 (January 2009 ) (Published Online: Feb 5 2008 12:00AM): 135–148.DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-8535.2007.00808.x
- Davis, N. E., C. Preston and I. Sahin (2009b). Training teachers to use new technologies impacts multiple ecologies: Evidence from a national initiative’. British Educational Research Journal (BJET). Volume 40. Issue 5 (September 2009).
- Preston, C. (2004). Learning to use ICT in Classrooms: teachers’ and trainers’ perspectives: an evaluation of the English NOF ICT teacher training programme (1999-2003): summary, full evaluation report and emergent trends for teacher educators and staff-trainers. London, funded by the Teacher Training Agency. Paper is here.
About evaluating edtech products and services
- Hinostroza, E., Rehben, L.E., Mellar, H. and Preston, C. (2000). Developing Educational Software: A Professional Tool Perspective Education and Information Technologies 5:2 (2000): 103-117
- Leask, M and C. Preston, C. (2009) E-tools for Future Teachers: Becta, Coventry with Brunel University: Download here.
- Preston, C. and Younie, S. (2016) Taking the Tablets: Transforming teaching, liberating learners and engaging the community Eds. A. Quinn and T. Hourigan, Springer
- Preston, C (2016) Innovations in professional development: real-time, in-ear coaching. Research report #2 in association with Iris Connect.
- Preston, C (2015) Innovation in teaching and learning: using web-enabled video technology to build professional capital through reflective practice, coaching and collaboration. Research report #1 in association with Iris Connect.
- Preston, C. (2014) Join the EU HandsOn ICT MOOC, ITTE Newsletter Summer no. 72
- Preston, C. (2013) The price of beauty and usefulness in learning. A study of value for money in nursery setting. Braided Learning Journal. MirandaNet publications in association with Community Playthings.
- Preston, C. and Younie, S. (2014) When the Funding Ends: Using the Handson ICT MOOC as a Key Element in Research and Development Projects presented at the Make Learn conference, Human Capital without Borders: Knowledge and Learning for Quality of Funded by the EU ICT Industry, Portoroc, Slovenia.http:/mirandanet.org.uk/researchexchange/eu-handson-ict/
- Preston, C. and Younie, S. (2014) From a community of practice perspective learning in a MOOC can be a lonely business. MoodleMoot conference, Korper, Slovenia http://mirandanet.org.uk/researchexchange/eu-handson-ict/
- Preston, C. and Younie, S. (2014) Mentoring in a Digital World: what are the issues? Key Competencies in Informatics and ICT (KEYCIT 2014) July 1-4 conference July 1st-5th. Conference Proceedings available at: https://publishup.uni-potsdam.de/opus4-ubp/frontdoor/index/index/docId/7032. [Retrieved: 22/10/16]
- Preston, C. and Younie, S. (2016) ‘Critical Incident using real-time, in-ear coaching in Professional development’. Advancing Education, Autumn 2016, Nottingham: Naace [online]
- Preston, C. and Younie, S. (2016) ‘Taking the tablets: has the long-predicted revolution in teaching and learning finally arrived?’ in (Eds.) A. Quinn and T. Hourigan, Handbook for Digital Learning in K-12 Schools, New York: Springer.