- This event has passed.
SMART Thought Leadership
25th Jan 2018 @ 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
On Technology and Teacher Training Thursday 25th at BETT18 Christina Preston, Helen Caldwell and Helen Boulton from MirandaNet 5.0 will be sharing the leading of the discussion with other experts in this field. It is not a seminar but a discussion in which experts mingle with the audience in order to debate the issues effectively. The issues that have been tabled so far are:
- Given the future for students will be heavily reliant on technology – both for work and for being an active citizen, are we preparing our teachers well enough to use the technology and act as role models?
- The UK’s IT industry is currently suffering a skills gap and says it will need one million tech workers by 2020, but employers claim they cannot find people with the skills they need. What should we do?
- Should any teacher be allowed Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) if they cannot pass a use of technology test? Should the inspection service, Ofsted, increase their criteria of a good ITT establishment to include more about the use of, and training in, the pedagogical uses of – technology?
- Should the Government instigate a new national training programme like from 1999-2014 to update teachers – OR perhaps more importantly teacher trainers?
- The TES believe we are heading for a recruitment crisis simply because of the number of teachers who will shortly be retiring. This will mean there will be thousands of teachers needed in training. Can the current models of teacher training work or do we need to think differently?