Publications by MirandaNet members
Disseminating ideas about education, innovation, research
Publications by MirandaNet members including articles, chapters and books which have been published externally in publications such as the press, academic journals, conferences etc. Copies are provided when available.
- Allen, A. Preston, C. Payton, M. and Pickering, S. (2011) Safeguarding learners in a digital world: e-Safety module information for Further Education & Skills providers & learners. Becta Coventry. Drop Box link
- Boulton, H. 2016. Exploring the effectiveness of new technologies: Improving literacy and engaging learners at risk of social exclusion in the UK. Journal of Teaching and Teacher Education 63, 73-81
- Boulton, H. 2014. ePortfolios beyond pre-service teacher education: A New Dawn? European Journal of Teacher Education 37(3) 374-389
- Boulton, H. and Hramiak, A., 2014. Cascading the use of Web 2.0 technology in secondary schools in the United Kingdom: identifying the barriers beyond pre-service training. Journal of Technology, Pedagogy and Education 23(2) 151-166
- Boulton, H. and Hramiak, A., 2012. E-flection: the development of reflective communities of learning for trainee teachers through the use of shared online web logs. Reflective Practice: International and Multidisciplinary Perspectives 13(4).
- Cuthell J.P. (2012) Learning in Liminality Available from here.
- Cuthell, J. P. (2009) Thinking Things Through – Collaborative Online Professional Development. In: Lindberg, J. O & Olofsson, A. D. Online Learning Communities and Teacher Professional Development: Methods for Improved Education Delivery. Hershey, IGI Global http://www.virtuallearning.org.uk/?p=586
- Cuthell, J. P. (2008) The Role of a Web-based Community in Teacher Professional Development. International Journal of Web Based Communities, Vol. 2, No. 8 2008, pp. 115 – 139. Geneva, Inderscience here
- Cuthell, J.P., and Preston, C. (2012). Tracking the stages of learning: concept maps as representations of liminal space. Themes in Science and Technology Education, 5(1/2), 79-94. here
- Cuthell, J. P., Cych, L., and Preston, C. (2011) Learning in Liminal Spaces. Paper presented at Mobile learning: Crossing boundaries in convergent environments Conference, University of Bremen. Available from here
- Cuthell, J. P. and C. Preston (2009) The Use of Concept Maps for Collaborative Knowledge Construction here
- Daly, C, Pachler N. and Pelletier, C. (2009) Continuing professional development in ICT for teachers: A literature review. Becta Report One here
- Daly, C., Pachler N., and Pelletier, C. (2009) Continuing Professional Development in ICT for teachers. Becta Report Two here
- Davis, N., C. Preston, and I. Sahin (2009a). ICT teacher training: evidence for multilevel evaluation from a national initiative.British Journal of Education Technology (BJET). Volume 40. Issue 1 (January 2009 ) (Published Online: Feb 5 2008 12:00AM): 135–148.DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-8535.2007.00808.x
- Davis, N. E., C. Preston and I. Sahin (2009b). Training teachers to use new technologies impacts multiple ecologies: Evidence from a national initiative’. British Educational Research Journal (BJET). Volume 40. Issue 5 (September 2009).
- Hartnell-Young, E. (2008). Mobile phones for learning in mainstream schooling: resistance and change. Proceedings of mLearn 2008, Ironbridge, UK, October. pp 160-167.
- Hartnell-Young, E. & Heym, N. (2008). How mobile phones help learning in secondary schools. Coventry: British Educational Communications and Technology Agency. Becta
- Hartnell-Young, E., Heym, N. & Rose, A. (2008). Defying a cultural taboo: using mobile phones for learning in secondary schools. BERA annual conference, Edinburgh, September
- Hinostroza, E., Rehben, L.E., Mellar, H. and Preston, C. (2000). Developing Educational Software: A Professional Tool Perspective Education and Information Technologies 5:2 (2000): 103-117
- Howell Richardson, C. and C. Preston (2007). Multimodal concept mapping in teaching and learning. Editorial: Fascinating cultural artifacts: multimodal concept mapping in teaching and learning. Reflecting Education www.reflectingeducation.net/index.php/reflecting. Last accessed 15th February 2011.
- Hramiak, A. and Boulton, H., 2013. Escalating the use of web 2.0 technology in secondary schools in the United Kingdom: Barriers and enablers beyond teacher training. Electronic Journal of e-Learning 11(2) 91-100
- Leask, M., Preston, C. and Younie, S. (2014) ‘Translational research and knowledge mobilisation – strategies from the Campbell Collaboration and MESH (Mobilising, Managing and Mapping Educational Specialist knowHow), BERA Symposium, British Educational Research Association (BERA) Annual Conference, Institute of Education, University of London, 23-25 September, 2014.
- Leask, M. and Younie, S. (in press 2017) Using Emerging Technologies to Develop Professional Learning, Journal of Professional Development in Education (accepted)
- Leask, M., and Younie, S. (2001) ‘Communal Constructivist Theory: pedagogy of information and communications technology & internationalisation of the curriculum’, Journal of Information Technology for Teacher Education, Vol. 10, Nos 1 & 2, pp117-134.
- Leask, M and C. Preston, C. (2009) E-tools for Future Teachers: Becta, Coventry with Brunel University: download here.
- Pachler, N, Preston, C., Cuthell, J.P., Allen, A. and Torres, P. (2011) The ICT CPD Landscape in England Becta download here. This report contains a section about teachers who are reluctant to use learning technologies in classrooms that you can download here.
- Porayska-Pomsta K., Preston, C., Laerke Weitze, C. and Younie, S. (2017 in press) ‘How can we provide educational practitioners with the expertise they need?’ In: What the Research Says, Rose Luckin (ed). Routledge
- Preston, C. (2017) Hardwired to Learn Education Executive, 27th April 2017 http://mirandanet.ac.uk/blog/
- Preston, C (2016) Innovations in professional development: real-time, in-ear coaching. Research report #2 in association with Iris Connect.
- Preston, C (2015) Innovation in teaching and learning: using web-enabled video technology to build professional capital through reflective practice, coaching and collaboration. Research report #1 in association with Iris Connect.
- Preston, C. (2014) Join the EU HandsOn ICT MOOC, ITTE Newsletter Summer no. 72.Preston, C. (2013) The price of beauty and usefulness in learning. A study of value for money in nursery setting. Braided Learning Journal. MirandaNet publications in association with Community Playthings.
- Preston, C. (2011) Gaining insight into educators’ understanding of digital technologies: three models for the analysis of multi-dimensional concept maps. Doctorate in International Education, Institute of Education, University of London library.
- Preston, C. (2009). Exploring semiotic approaches to analysing multidimensional concept maps using methods that value collaboration. Handbook of Research on Collaborative Learning Using Concept Mapping. P. Torres and R. Marriott. Hershey, Pennsylvania/USA, Information Science Reference.
- Preston, C (2008) Braided learning: an emerging process observed in e-communities of practice. International Journal of Web Based Communities, 2008 – Vol. 4, No.2 pp. 220 – 243
- Preston, C. (2007) Braided Learning: promoting active professionals in education. New International Theories and Models Of and For Online Learning. C. Haythornthwaite. Chicago IL, USA, First Monday.
- Preston C. (2007) The development of personalised learning in e-communities in Pictures of Personalisation: A global view of the personalisation of learning, Ed. Angela MacFarlane, DfES and BESA.
- Preston, C. (2005) Social Networking between professionals: what is the point? A chapter in Self-regulated Learning in Technology. Edited Stephans, K, R. Carneiro and Underwood, J. Enhanced Learning Environments TACONET Lisbon, Portugal, Shaker Verlag.
- Preston, C. (2004). Learning to use ICT in Classrooms: teachers’ and trainers’ perspectives: an evaluation of the English NOF ICT teacher training programme (1999-2003): summary, full evaluation report and emergent trends for teacher educators and staff-trainers. London, funded by the Teacher Training Agency. Paper is here.
- Preston, C., M. Savage, M., Payton, M, and Barnett, A. (2017) Towards tomorrow’s successful digital citizens: providing the critical and dialogical opportunities to change lifestyles and mindsets. In ICT debates Eds Younie and Townsend Routledge
- Preston, C. and Younie, S. (2016) Taking the Tablets: Transforming teaching, liberating learners and engaging the community Eds. A. Quinn and T. Hourigan, Springer
- Preston, C., Allen, A. and Allen, R. (2017 in press) Learning Spaces: The impact on learning of social and information environments in both physical and virtual settings. In Teaching and Learning with ICT in the Secondary School. Eds S. Younie and P. Bradshaw. Routledge
- Preston, C., S. Younie, R. Turner (2015) Listening to Learn; An Evaluation of Classroom Audio Distribution Technology for Enriching Teaching and Learning. A MirandaNet Fellowship publication in association with LightSpeed here
- Preston, C, J. Wilde, K. Cameron and S. Nusrat (2014) The relationship between parental engagement, digital home-school links and pupil achievement. A MirandaNet Fellowship publication in association with Groupcall here
- Preston, C. and S. Younie (2014) When the Funding Ends: Using the Handson ICT MOOC as a Key Element in Research and Development Projects presented at the Make Learn conference, Human Capital without Borders: Knowledge and Learning for Quality of Funded by the EU ICT Industry, Portoroc, Slovenia.%20http:/mirandanet.org.uk/researchexchange/eu-handson-ict/
- Preston, C. and S. Younie (2014) From a community of practice perspective learning in a MOOC can be a lonely business. MoodleMoot conference, Korper, Slovenia http://mirandanet.org.uk/researchexchange/eu-handson-ict/
- Preston, C. and S. Younie (2014) Mentoring in a Digital World: what are the issues? Key Competencies in Informatics and ICT (KEYCIT 2014) July 1-4 conference July 1st-5th. Conference Proceedings available at: https://publishup.uni-potsdam.de/opus4-ubp/frontdoor/index/index/docId/7032. [Retrieved: 22/10/16]
- Preston, C. and M. Scott Baker 2015 (in press) Do young children need access to computers as much as they need to play with sand and water? Section: ICT in the Early Years: Teaching and Learning with ICT series: Eds, Leask and Younie, Routledge.
- Preston, C. and Cuthell, J.P. (2012) MirandaMods: From Practice to Praxis in Informal Professional Learning Contexts. In C. Jimoyiannis (Ed.) Research on e-Learning and ICT in Education, Springer pp 17-28. Chapter 2.
- Preston C. and Cuthell, J.P. (2009). From practice to praxis – through work based teaching and learning , WLE Centre, Institute of Education, University of London. London.
- Preston, C. and J.P. Cuthell (2007) Perspectives on ICT CPD: Past, Present and Future. The experiential learning of advisers responsible for school teachers’ ICT CPD programmes. WLE Centre, Institute of Education London. Available online.
- Preston, C. and Cuthell, J. (2005) Teaching in ICT rich environments – using e-learning to create a knowledge base for 21st century teachers. A chapter in M. Leask and Pachler, N (eds) (2nd edn 2005) Teaching and Learning using ICT in the Secondary School, London, Routledge.
- Preston, C, B. Mannova and Lengel, L. (2004) Building communities of practice in “New” Europe a chapter in A Brown, and N Davis (eds): Digital Technology, Communities and Education: World Year Book of Education – 2004 Routledge Falmer
- Preston, C. and Danby, M. (2004) Who are the supply teachers? Research for Select Education into the characteristics of supply teachers and their professional needs. Read more here.
- Preston, C. and Danby, M. (2004) Building professional capacity in new media skills – An evaluation of the European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL) for Educators here
- Younie, S. (2006) ‘Implementing Government Policy on ICT in Education: lessons learnt’, Education and Information Technologies, Vol 11, Nos 3-4, pp 385-400
- Younie, S., Leask, M. and Burden, K. (2014) Teaching and Learning with ICT in the Primary School. London: Routledge.
- Younie, S. and Leask, M. (in press 2017) Implementing learning platforms in schools and universities: lessons from England and Wales, Technology, Pedagogy and Education (accepted)
- Younie S. and Preston, C (2017) ‘A curriculum faux pas‘. Education Executive, 2 March 2017. https://flickread.com/
- Younie S., and Preston, C (2017) ‘Don’t lose the essence of what it means to teach’ TES 17th March 2017. http://mirandanet.ac.uk/blog/
- Wishart, J. (2015). Exploring the Use of Mobile Devices to Support Teacher Education in Yan, Z (ed). Encyclopedia of Mobile Phone Behaviour. Hershey PA: ICI Global (pp 466-478).